Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Week 3. I heart my iPhone

My main form of communication and the most technological gadget i use is my iPhone. I use it to make calls, txts, listen to music, watch YouTube videos and movies, and use network sites such as facebook and twitter. I think the introduction of the 'smart phones' has made a big impact on communication because we can now use email and Internet wherever we go. There is no longer the need to log onto a computer to use networking sites or download music which makes life more easy going and efficient. I remember when mobile phones were a new gadget and my friend received her mothers old phone when we were about 10. It was seriously the size of a brick, bigger than a home phone and with a massive antennae. Now looking at the mobile phones in today's market really makes you realize how quickly technology is evolving and the endless possibilities for new things in the future that we cant even comprehend now.
I received my first phone and my own computer in grade 8, 2002. I mostly used msn to communicate with friends and started off with one of those msn profile things that are similar to myspace. I then joined myspace and facebook as the craze went through school. If it wasn't for school i probably would never have known about them. Nowadays, i generally only use facebook and have recently made a twitter account, although i have no idea how to use it. The original reason for me joining the networking sites is because everyone else had one and its how everyone keeps in contact. I joined twitter mainly to see what all the hype was about as it is constantly talked about on the radio and on t.v. I don't play many online games or anything, as im not really computer savvy. I mostly just use the Internet to search for information and to use online banking services (when im not on facebook :-p). I dont have a credit card, which is probably a good thing, so i havn't yet got into online shopping.
To be honest, when it comes to privacy, i never think about the collection of my details by networking sites such as facebook or myspace. However i always make sure that my profile is private and i only accept friend requests etc. from people i know. I use these sites as a way to stay in touch with friends and family rather than meeting new people. I dont really use chat sites or anything as it doesn't really interest me to talk to random people on the net. However, i have started to learn how to use Skype, because i have alot of family overseas. My dad constantly uses it to stay in contact with them as it is cheaper than a phone call.
When writing this, i realized how much i actually use the Internet and it is alot more than i first thought. I didnt think i was particularly computer literate but im beginning to think i manage just fine. I think alot of my knowledge of communication technologies has come from high school, even though i didnt realize it at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment